Diabetes Reflexology Foot Massage
For over 100 years, massage has been recommended for diabetes. Relaxation from massage has greater than the rest alone. It improves circulation, thus useful for diabetic neuropathy and other complications.
Reflexology is simple to perform self-massage without any side effects. Additionally, it is beneficial in controlling diabetes and has numerous health benefits to your entire body. Reflexology for diabetes helps to lower their medicinal dosage to control blood glucose level.
High glucose causes & how the reflexology helps to relieve it?
High levels of blood glucose are due to defect in carbohydrate or glucose metabolism such as problem with stomach, intestine, liver, pancreas, or muscle cells. You can resolve it by stimulating certain organ reflex points. See the picture for the reflex points of the different organs.
Reflexology diabetes foot massage
Reflexology for diabetes include massaging reflexes of endocrine glands and organs responsible for glucose metabolism & damaged by hyperglycemia.
It is always preferred and advisable to start the reflexology treatment with massaging endocrine glands; which controls the entire bodily function. Then, massage the organs that might cause blood glucose rise. Finally, massage the organs that would be affected due to the high glucose level in blood.
Reflexology massage for Endocrine system
- Pituitary gland - It is the master endocrine gland; its hormone controls other endocrine glands such as thyroid, adrenal, and reproductive glands. Endorphins secreted by the pituitary; acts on the nervous system and reduces pain.
- Pineal gland - It produces hormone melatonin in the night. Melatonin regulates circadian rhythm (daily bodily rhythms) of the body. Pineal gland is the “third eye.”
- Thyroid & Parathyroid gland - It produces the thyroid hormones that control metabolism. The thyroid hormone regulates vital body functions; breathing, heart rate, central and peripheral nervous systems, body weight, muscle strength, menstrual cycles, body temperature, and cholesterol levels. Improper functioning thyroid affects normal protein breakdown as well as carbohydrates & vitamins usage. Parathyroid hormone regulates calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood. It supports the thyroid gland functions. Thumb-walk the thyroid area from lateral to medial; from the base of the big toe until reaching the diaphragm line.
- Thymus gland - The thymus gland is part of the immune system. It controls the growth and development of a major part of the immune system. Hold the foot with one hand; press & rotate the thymus reflex, using another hand thumb. For more information, visit reflexology for immune system.
- Adrenal gland - Adrenal glands present on top of the kidney. It's hormones help to conserve sodium, increase blood glucose level, regulate sex hormones, and handles ‘fight or flight’ responses.
- Pancreas gland - Pancreas secrets the hormones insulin and glucagon. These hormones help maintain ideal blood glucose level. Hold the foot with one hand; push & hook-up the reflex point for 6 seconds using another thumb.
For more information, visit Endocrine reflexology massage. It helps to normalize the glucose level in blood. Concentrate much on Pancreas, because this is responsible for insulin secretion.
Reflexology for carbohydrate metabolizing organs
Carbohydrate is the major food constituent in the daily food intake. If the digestion and absorption of the carbohydrate are properly carried out, then blood glucose level is maintained at a normal level. The organs that are responsible for carbohydrate digestion, and absorptions are:
- Solar plexus (for proper digestion) - The solar plexus is one of the most powerful reflex points in reflexology. The solar plexus is a complex dense nerve network or ganglia; thus, called the abdominal brain. Place the thumb as a pivot at the solar plexus reflex on the right foot. Inhale (breathe in) for five seconds; make a circle using another hand. Continue pivoting the reflex; hold the breath for 5 seconds. Exhale (breathe out) for 5 seconds; lessening pressure on the reflex point. Take a few calming breaths. Repeat four times. Repeat the same procedure on the left foot (reversing hand positions if needed).
- Small intestine - absorbs glucose after digestion. Small intestine performs 90% of the digestion and absorption. Using the thumb or finger, walk in steps vertical and horizontal to cover the entire reflex.
- Liver - Glycogen & Fat storage. The liver performs many essential works related to digestion, metabolism, immunity, and nutrients storage. Using the left thumb, walk continuously one-step below horizontal until reaching the heel. Repeat twice.
- Pancreas - This reflex is already done in the reflexology for endocrine system.
Massaging the reflex points such as the stomach (or solar plexus), small intestine, liver, and pancreas help normalize the carbohydrate metabolism, thus blood glucose level bring back to the normal range. Provide special attention, if there is any pain, numbness in these reflex points. Different sensation at certain area means there may be some defect in these organs. If that particular point shows any positive change after massaging, then increase the frequency. If happen otherwise, discard massaging those reflex points. For more information, visit reflexology digestive system.
Reflexology to avoid diabetes complications
Long term of high level of blood sugar/glucose can cause.
- Nerves damage – massage the reflexes of the head, neck, and spinal. The head, brain, and skull reflexes are on the top of five toes in both feet. Support the toes with the left hand; with the right thumb walk at the top of five toes, do three times. Hold the toe with left-hand fingers; using the right thumb, walk from the toe base until reaching the toe tip. Have to do three times on the five toes. For Neck reflex; Hold the big toe; using the right thumb, walk on the dorsal and lateral aspect. Walk medial to lateral in three rows; each row lower than the before until reaching the big toe base. For Spinal nerves; The spinal column is a protective sheath for the spinal nerves. The spinal nerves are beneath the spinal column; thus, reflex therapy for the spinal column can help spinal nerves.
- Eye problems – Sight is most valued than other senses. Hold right foot with the left-hand; place right thumb below the second toe base. Using the right thumb, walk on the area under the toes, from the second to the fifth toe. These reflexes cover the entire eye; reflexology therapy helps any problems of the eye.
- Heart problems – Hold left foot with the left hand; for heart reflexes, move right thumb straight below the fourth toe until before diaphragm line. Press & rotate this point. Next, place the right index finger on the dorsal (top) aspect corresponding to the thumb. Apply pressure with the index finger.
- Kidney problems – it is already done in endocrine glands – adrenal. Important jobs of the kidneys are to remove waste from the blood (urea, salt, and excess water). Using two thumbs together, pull apart with a gentle pressure to reach the kidney and adrenal reflexes. Do for 10 seconds.
If you have erectile dysfunction or other sexual problem, then stimulate the reproductive reflexes.
Massaging the reflex points of these organs can be helpful to avoid any complication due to a long term of diabetes. Thus, Diabetes Reflexology Massage not only controlling the blood sugar level but also protects organs affected by a long term of diabetes.