Diabetes symptoms of adult and children are the same; however, certain diabetes symptoms are specific to child. Learn children diabetes symptoms.
Diabetes symptoms unique to children
There are few diabetes symptoms, which are typical to children; they are:
Symptoms that are more typical for children include:
- Unexplained frequent illness
- Yeast infection causes diaper rashes in babies. Girls and boys develop yeast infection in their genital.
- Slow growth and lazy attitude compared to other child.
- Certain behavior problems are common, such as irritation.
- More vulnerable to respiratory infections
Undiagnosed and untreated diabetes leads to ketoacidosis. Once your child’s blood glucose is unable to utilize, then his or her body start breakdown of fat for energy, this is ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis releases toxic acid in to the blood stream, causing various symptoms; they are:
- Abdominal pain (tummy pains)
- Dehydration – skin and tongue becomes dry
- Losses weight and becoming lean
- Breath is sweet smelling
- Child feels drowsy
- Pressure drops, pulse weaker
- Child may go semi-conscious or even unconscious in advanced stage
Diabetes symptoms for children explained
- Bedwetting – Excess glucose in blood is washout by the kidney causes frequent and excess urination in diabetes. As a child, they cannon able to control urination in sleeping causing bedwetting.
- Unexplained frequent illness – is due to weak immunity caused by elevated blood sugar level.
- Yeast infection - elevated blood glucose in blood is removing by kidney, passes out as urine; this environment is favorable for the yeast to grow conveniently.
- Slow growth and lazy attitude - is due to lack of glucose utilization.
- Certain behavior problems - glucose is not able to utilize properly thus causing some mental symptoms such as irritation.
- More vulnerable to respiratory infections – weak immunity due to raised blood glucose level, additionally excess glucose is removing through urine, sweat and breath. This may lead to respiratory infection.