Hypotension Home Remedies
The goal of low blood pressure treatment is to raise blood pressure and reduce undesirable symptoms. Depending on the age, health status and the type of hypotension, this may accomplish in several ways.
Lifestyle changes to raise low BP
Hypotension lifestyle is just few simple modifications that can help to raise low blood pressure and alleviate annoying low bp symptoms.
- Fluid intake raises BP - Dehydration is a common cause of low blood pressure, the great way to help is to drink more water. Drinking two 8 oz. (500 mL) of water helps expand plasma volume. Within few minutes, it increases the systolic blood pressure by more than 20 mm Hg for about 2 hours and improves symptoms. This easy technique can be used for temporarily mask the low bp symptoms by raising the blood pressure.
- Healthy low BP food - Limit high carb foods such as potatoes, rice, bread and pasta is advisable. Low carb high fat good is the preferable food choice for people with hypotension. Many people with low blood pressure are due to nutrient deficiency, thus your diet should pack with healthy nutrients.
- Caffeine for hypotension - Drinking a cup of coffee/tea (or other caffeine-containing beverage) can temporarily increase your blood pressure. The caffeine possess a property to block adenosine, a hormone makes the blood vessels widened. Additionally, caffeine stimulate the adrenal gland to release more adrenaline and cortisol, both of this will increase blood pressure, blood sugar level and make you more alert, increased concentration, and feel brisk without any fatigue.
- Salt raises BP- intake helps retention of fluids and thus raises blood pressure. Salt intake should be between 10 to 20 grams per day. Exercise caution when increasing the salt intake and should keep it within daily allowable sodium salt intake limit.
- No alcohol for hypertensive – alcohol interferes with the liver's ability to process hormones renin and angiotensin, which are vital for blood pressure control. Reduce or eliminate alcohol use correlates with elevated blood pressure.
- Compressed stacking or abdominal binder to improve BP - can help the blood to return to the heart and thus raises blood pressure. Even tight dressing may help a little. Abdominal binders are specifically useful for people with postprandial hypotension. Compressed stacking is helpful for people with postural hypotension. Leg compression alone is not as effective as abdomen compression because the venous capacitance of the calves and thighs is less compare with the splanchnic mesenteric bed (abdomen), which accounts for about 30% of total blood volume.
- Avoid heat to improve BP- Exposure to heat (direct sunlight or warm bath) can decrease your blood pressure. It may be due to relaxation (expansion) of the blood vessel due to high temperature. Stay away from direct sunlight during hot days, do not take prolong hot baths (specifically steam bath). Hot environment causes sweat, subsequently dehydration, which can lower blood pressure and trigger orthostatic hypotension.
- Be slow in activities - can help to reduce the dizziness and other low blood pressure symptoms. Take it easy and be slow, when you move from sitting or lie down to a standing position. Instead of jumping out of bed in the morning, take few slow deep breathe and then slowly stand from bed.
- Sleep with head raised - to 4 inch (10 cm), if you are repeatedly tilted-up, the orthostatic hypotension is gradually attenuate, presumably due to increase in venomotor tone.
- Exercise to improve Low BP - improves orthostatic tolerance by reducing venous pooling and increasing plasma volume. Some exercises best suitable for low blood pressure are swimming, recumbent biking, and light weight lifting.
- Physical counter maneuvers to raise BP - can increase peripheral resistance, presumably by reducing the vascular capacitance. It help increase blood flow to the heart and thus raise blood pressure. Some of these physical counter maneuvers are crossing the leg, squatting, bend at the waist, hand gripping, arm tensing, rise toes while standing and tighten thigh muscles.
- Supplements for low BP - can help improve blood pressure and its associated symptoms. Many with low blood pressure are due to nutritional deficiency, thus supplementing it may be helpful. Additionally, it improves overall health.
The above-said hypotension guidelines can help maintain blood pressure and importantly safeguard against hypotension symptoms.