Centrally-Acting Alpha Adrenergics lowers blood pressure by decreasing certain chemicals in the blood, which relax blood vessels, and thus heart beat slowly and easily.
Other clinical uses include treatment of alcohol withdrawal, pediatric pre-anesthetic, for pediatric postoperative pain control, treatment of migraine headaches, nicotine addiction, menopausal flushing, attention-deficit disorder, and pediatric panic and anxiety disorders.
Centrally-acting alpha adrenergics medications
- Catapres (generic name: Clonidine)
- Tenex (generic name: Guanfacine)
Avoid Centrally-acting alpha adrenergics
Avoid Centrally-acting alpha adrenergics, If
- Pregnant or nursing women should talk to their doctor before using these medications.
- Have heart disease, recent heart attack, or kidney disease should talk to their doctor before using these medications.
- Drinking alcohol may make side effects worse.
Centrally-acting alpha adrenergics side effects
Dizziness,dry mouth,upset stomach, drowsiness or tired.
Centrally-acting alpha adrenergics warning signs
Consult doctor immediately if you are having: fainting, irregular heartbeat, fever, swollen ankles or feet.