Blood pressure test is quick and easy it measures in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and recorded as two numbers systolic over a diastolic, example, 130 over 80 or 130/80.
Prepare yourself for Hypertension diagnosis
Blood pressure measurement can get influence by numerous factors; therefore, you should prepare yourself accordingly to avoid those negative influences.
- Do not drink coffee or smoke cigarettes for 30 minutes prior to the test. Smoking and caffeine may cause a short-term rise in the blood pressure.
- Go to the bathroom, urinate to empty the bladder, full bladder can show an elevated blood pressure reading.
- Sit in a comfortable position for 5 minutes before the test, movement can cause short-term rises in blood pressure.
- Avoid tension anxiety and make you-self-cool, anxiety may raise pressure reading.
- Do not perform any strong physical activity before blood pressure diagnosis.
Correct procedure for hypertension diagnosis
Blood pressure measurement is easy to take using sphygmomanometer or automatic blood pressure monitor; it takes just less than 5 minutes for a single reading.
- Blood pressure measurement varies from one arm to another; take blood pressure measurement in both arms and use arm with higher reading for further measurements.
- You should relax without any movement for at least 5 minutes in a proper sitting position before BP measurement.
- You must support your arm at your heart level. Ensure there is no tight clothing that constricts the arm.
- Neatly place the cuff with the indicator mark over the brachial artery. The bladder should cover at least 80 percent of the arm (but not more than 100 percent – that is bladder encircle over the bladder).
- You should repeat blood pressure measurement three times and record measurement as displayed. Calculate an average value, which is your actual blood pressure number.
Both systolic blood pressure (SBP) and diastolic blood pressure (DBP) in a blood pressure reading are important. At younger age, DBP number is most useful and when grows older, SBP is especially significant.
To test your blood pressure, your doctor will use a sphygmomanometer, some use electronic instruments, or digital readouts. In these cases, the blood pressure reading appears on a small screen, and no stethoscope is used.
How do you avoid incorrect hypertension diagnosis?
Blood pressure can vary from time to time and affected by many factors, the food you ate, level of physical activity, your mental state (stress, anxiety, etc.) and many more. Some of those factors that can affect your blood pressure and may contribute to incorrect blood pressure measurement are:
- Biorhythms or circadian rhythm in blood pressure - your body responded rhythmically with respect to the regular cycles of day, afternoon, evening, night, sun, moon and seasons. Similarly, the highest BP reading occurs during late morning up to the middle of afternoon. The lowest reading occurs during early sleep. Therefore, discuss with your physician regarding this biorhythm before you confirmed as high blood pressure.
- Only one blood pressure reading has no meaning - blood pressure can be an influence by time during the day, food you have recently eaten (particularly salty foods), your mental state (stress, anxiety, etc.), level of recent physical activity, how well you sleep on previous night and temperature inside the room. Therefore, you must take two to three BP reading at different times during a day; calculate the average that is your blood pressure number.
- White coat syndrome - high BP reading in front of white-coated persons (doctors, nurses or other health-care professional) otherwise the blood pressure is normal.