Sleep Apnea Home Remedies
Goal of sleep apnea treatment is to restore normal sleep; some of the common sleep apnea treatments are following sleep apnea guidelines, using CPAP machine during sleep and surgery.
Sleep apnea home remedies
The goals of Sleep apnea Home Remedies are:
- Restore normal breathing during sleep
- Relieve loud snoring and daytime sleepiness
- Treatment may help other medical conditions linked to sleeping apnea, such as high blood pressure. In addition, it reduces the risks for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
Common sleep apnea treatments
Lifestyle guidelines, mouthpieces, breathing devices, and/or surgeries are useful for the treatment of sleep apnea. Currently, there is no medication for the treatment of sleep apnea.
Lifestyle guidelines and/or mouthpieces may be sufficient to relieve mild sleep apnea. Patient who had moderate or severe sleep apnea will need breathing devices or surgery.
Sleep apnea lifestyles guidelines
- Avoid alcohol and medications that make sleepy. They make it difficult for the throat to stay open while sleeping.
- Lose a little weight if overweight or obese can help improve the symptoms.
- Sleep with your sides instead of back to help keeps the throat open. Use specially designed pillow or shirt that prevents from sleeping on the back.
- Make the nasal passages open at night with nose sprays or allergy medication if necessary.
- Stop smoking.
- Mouthpiece - also called an oral appliance, may help some people with mild sleep apnea. Doctor may recommend a mouthpiece if snore loudly but do not have sleep apnea.
- A dentist or orthodontist can design an individualized plastic mouthpiece for treating sleep apnea. The mouthpiece will adjust the lower jaw and tongue to help keep the airways open while sleeping. If use a mouthpiece, check with the doctor if discomfort or pain while using the device.