Interested in self-reflexology therapy! Learn,
- How much pressure has to apply for reflexology.
- Which foot to start Right/left?
- What is uric acid crystal? In addition, how to disperse it?
- How to improve reflexology therapy by using favorable environment?
- Is there any undesirable reactions in reflexology & some safety tips?
- What are reflexology aftercare?
Start self-reflexology therapy by trying to put the conscious mind at the thumb tip to sense any irregularities beneath the surface. Feel these irregularities as congestion, grittiness, lumpiness, heat, or cold. If you have felt any irregularities, give special emphasis by massaging more or often.
6 things amazingly things help improve reflexology therapy
- Quiet and hygienic surroundings are necessary.
- Mind and body calming music help improve healing.
- Essential oil aroma gives a holistic healing environment.
- A Mild lighting gives a calming environment.
- Should have a comfortable couch, chair or trolley.
- Before every session, drink water; even if, there is no desire to drink water. This makes the session more successful by ease detoxification by breaking crystal deposits.
Start the treatment by working on the solar plexus reflex along with two minutes of deep breathing.
Which side to start for effective reflexology therapy?
There are various views about which side to start, they are:
- Start on the right foot, balances the physical aspects of the left-brain. The left foot balances the emotional aspects of the right brain. Start on the right foot; help follows the natural flow of the large intestine. Because, the large intestine begins on the right foot and expels on the left foot.
- Start on the left foot balances the most receptive side of the brain. Otherwise, the body might fail to accept the stimulation.
- Work on both right and left foot balances the body systems.
Reflexology surely benefits everyone! No matter, whether started on right or left foot.
Put your own experience and stick with the preferred side. The author suggestion is to start on the right foot for men and the left foot for women.
How much pressure is good for reflexology?
The pressure should be firm enough; but should not be severe to cause strain, pain, discomfort, or damage to the underlying tissues. Keep regular monitoring to ensure comfortable pressure without discomforts.
Below said health conditions require to apply lesser pressure than usual for reflexology therapy, they are:
- People who are aged or have osteoporosis are vulnerable to normal pressure.
- Young children with usual pressure are vulnerable to the therapy reactions.
- People undergone recent surgery need six weeks to accept full-pressure. However, the lesser pressure helps faster recovery from surgery.
- Sensitive people may experience a painful reaction to reflexology therapy with usual pressure.
Reflexology Safety tips
Reflexology is an ancient healing method, which is safe. Still, there are few cautions:
- Do not do reflexology session over four times per day.
- Work on a reflex area for less than two minutes.
- If any reflex spot is hard or painful, gently rub the spot. Be patient, it takes days or even months to normalize this specific reflex.
- For reflexology, should not use a sharp object; always use blunt tools. Before doing reflexology, cut & blunt the nails and avoid direct application.
- Do not apply direct pressure over varicose veins. Use plaster to cover a verruca. For athlete's foot, apply mild antiseptic or tea tree essential oil based cream.
- Small babies, children and aged may need a short-term treatment. Long reflexology session may cause undesirable reactions; due to excess toxin elimination.
There are no reports of harm from reflexology, still be cautious about excess detoxification.
Negative reactions of reflexology
Reflexology therapy may have few negative reactions such as feeling hot or cold, sweaty palms, increased urination, nausea, dizziness, energy variations, hyperventilation, and faintness.
If there is any negative reaction, immediately stop the reflexology treatment. These reactions are the symptoms of detoxification (actually it indicates it start healing process); this shows large quantities of toxic deposits. A sudden removal of these toxins leads to these undesirable reactions. To remove toxins slowly, do another mild and short reflexology therapy.
Reflexology is a safe form of therapy; still avoid treating people with some health conditions.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT),
- Blood Clots
Reflexology increases blood circulation, so these health conditions will worsen. Stop treating people with blood clots; it may cause a dangerous blockage due to blood clot moves toward the lungs, heart, and brain.
Secrets about how reflexology therapy relieve pain
Reflexology reduces pain, by increasing the endorphins production. Endorphins are the body's natural painkillers. Endorphins produced pituitary is ten times powerful than morphine. Massage on the pituitary reflex encourages endorphins production; thus, lessen the pain aggravation. Give special emphasis to the pituitary reflex and before closing the reflexology session, give gentle pressure to this point for an extra 20 seconds.
After reflexology therapy care boost healing
To improve the cleansing (detoxification); drink a glass of water immediately after therapy and drink extra water for next 24 hours. Need to take enough rest to improve the healing power of reflexology therapy.
Once started the reflexology session; body tries twice harder to expel waste from every cell of the body. Drink excess water than usual for next 24 hours after the reflexology treatment. Otherwise, there may be symptoms of flu, headaches, and severe tiredness for 24 hours.
Facts about Reflexology Popularity
In Denmark, Reflexology is one of the most popular alternative therapies. In 2005, national survey showed that 21.4% of the Danish population had used reflexology massage at some point in their life and 6.1% had used it within the last 12 months.
A Norway study showed that 5.6 % of their population in 2007 had used reflexology within the last one year.