Some of the common diabetes complications are heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney disease, loss of a toe (or foot), and erectile dysfunction. However, you can be avoiding these complications by strict diabetes care.
How common are the diabetes complications?
The prevalence of the diabetes complications among diabetes patients are more common; diabetic neuropathy 60%, CHD 32.3%, Cataract 20%, Retinopathy 15.4%, Peripheral vascular disease 11.5%, and Cerebrovascular accidents 6.9%.
Diabetes complications begin because of blood vessel and nerve damages, causes due to high-level of glucose in blood (uncontrolled diabetes), prolonged diabetes, high-cholesterol level, and high-pressure. Nerve damages of the respective organs are the root cause of diabetes complications.
- Uncontrolled diabetes can harm the nerves in your body causing diabetic neuropathy.
- Heart disease, stroke, heart attacks are all caused by blockage of blood vessels causing lack of oxygen in extreme case breakage of blood vessels may happen.
- Diabetic retinopathy caused due to blood vessel damage in retina causing lack of blood circulation thus lack of oxygen to nourish retina and in extreme cause leakage of blood in the retina.
- Diabetic Gastroparesis is a disorder of the stomach that takes too long to empty its contents, mostly due to vagus nerve damage.
- Diabetes kidney diseases are causes due to a small blood vessel of kidney is damage due to long run of high blood-glucose.
- Erectile dysfunction or impotence is due to over-all nerve damage, and may be nerves in penis.
- Urinary incontinence, over active bladder, bladder problems are all cause by nerve damage due to prolonged high blood-glucose.
- Urinary tract infection is also due to nerve damage, but it is not directly relating with a nerve cause. Due to Diabetic Gastroparesis, there is a delay in the food emptying, which in-turn starts bacterial growth, and causes urinary tract infection. Furthermore, due to long term of diabetes, immune system losses it capacity thereby it is not able to fight the infection.
- Depression is more in people with diabetes compared to people without diabetes. Diabetes depression is associated with poorer diabetes care and blood-glucose level.
Then how to safe guard against diabetes complications, it is simple be strict in your diabetes care and maintain your blood-sugar level and A1C near normal.