Reflexology is widely accepted, because of its non-invasive, drug-free nature that easily complements the conventional treatment.
What is Reflexology? Reflexology is a practice of applying modest pressure to specific points on the feet and/or hands will give beneficial impacts on the health of related body parts (reflex).
Reflexology is a do-it-yourself massage that helps in the management of diabetes and provides numerous health and wellness benefits. Reflexology for diabetes help lower blood glucose level and prevent diabetes complications.
Reflexology therapy promotes relaxation and improves blood circulation, thus useful for diabetic complications such as neuropathy.
Reflexology Foot Massage for Diabetes
Diabetes reflexology includes massaging reflexes of endocrine glands and organs in-charge of glucose metabolism.
Firstly, start the reflexology treatment with massaging endocrine glands, which controls the entire bodily function. Secondly, massage the organs that might cause blood glucose rise. Finally, massage the organs that would be affected due to the high glucose level in the blood (diabetes complications).
Reflexology massage for Endocrine system
- Pituitary gland - It is the master endocrine gland; its hormone controls other endocrine glands such as thyroid, adrenal, and reproductive glands. Endorphins secreted by the pituitary acts on the nervous system and reduces pain.
- Pineal gland - It produces hormone melatonin in the night. Melatonin regulates circadian rhythm (daily bodily rhythms) of the body. The pineal gland is the “third eye.”
- Thyroid & Parathyroid gland - It produces the thyroid hormones that control metabolism. The thyroid hormone regulates vital body functions such as breathing, heart rate, central and peripheral nervous systems, body weight, muscle strength, menstrual cycles, body temperature, and cholesterol levels. Improper functioning thyroid affects normal protein breakdown as well as carbohydrates & vitamins usage. Parathyroid hormone regulates calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood. Thumb-walk the thyroid area from lateral to medial; from the base of the big toe until reaching the diaphragm line.
- Thymus gland - The thymus gland is part of the immune system. Hold the foot with one hand; press & rotate the thymus reflex, using another hand thumb. For more information, visit reflexology for the immune system.
- Adrenal gland - Adrenal glands present on top of the kidney. It's hormones help to conserve sodium, increase blood glucose level, regulate sex hormones, and handles ‘fight or flight’ responses.
- Pancreas gland - Pancreas secrets the hormones insulin and glucagon. These hormones help maintain ideal blood glucose level. Hold the foot with one hand, push & hook-up the reflex point for 6 seconds using another thumb.
For more information, visit Endocrine reflexology massage. It helps to normalize the glucose level in blood. Concentrate much on Pancreas, because this is responsible for insulin secretion.
Reflexology for organ in-charge of carbohydrate metabolism
Carbohydrate is the major food constituent in the daily food intake. If the digestion and absorption of the carbohydrate are properly carried out, then blood glucose level is maintained at a normal level. The organs that are responsible for carbohydrate digestion, and absorptions are:
- Solar plexus - The solar plexus is one of the most powerful reflex points. It is a complex dense nerve network or ganglia; thus, called the abdominal brain. Place the thumb as a pivot at the solar plexus reflex on the right foot. Inhale (breath in) for five seconds; rotate the foot in a circle using another hand. Continue pivoting the reflex; hold the breath for 5 seconds. Exhale (breathe out) for 5 seconds; lessening pressure on the reflex point. Take a few calming breaths. Repeat four times. Repeat the same procedure on the left foot (reversing hand positions if needed).
- Small intestine - absorbs glucose after digestion. Small intestine performs 90% of the digestion and absorption. Using the thumb or finger, walk-in steps vertical and horizontal to cover the entire reflex.
- Liver - The liver performs many essential works related to digestion, metabolism, immunity, and nutrients storage. Using the left thumb, walk continuously one-step below horizontal until reaching the heel. Repeat twice.
- Pancreas - This reflex is already done in the reflexology for the endocrine system.
Massaging the reflex points such as the stomach (or solar plexus), small intestine, liver, and pancreas help improve the carbohydrate metabolism, thus helps the blood glucose level to the target range.
Endorphin is a body's natural pain-relieving chemical released during reflexology therapy.
If there is any pain or numbness in any reflex points, give special attention to that point. A different sensation in any reflex area may indicate some problem in that organ.
If that particular point shows any positive change after massaging, then increase the frequency. Otherwise, discard massaging that reflex points. For more information, visit reflexology digestive system.
How reflexology helps high blood sugar?
High levels of blood glucose are due to defect in carbohydrate metabolism due to a problem with stomach, intestine, liver, pancreas, or muscle cells.
By stimulating reflex points of these organs by applying the reflexology technique can improve the blood and energy circulation, provide relaxation, and maintain homeostasis. See picture to know the diabetes reflex points.
Reflexology to avoid diabetes complications
Long-term of a high level of blood sugar/glucose can cause.
- Nerves damage – massage the reflexes of the head, neck, and spinal. The head, brain, and skull reflexes are on the top of five toes in both feet. Support the toes with the left hand; with the right thumb walk at the top of five toes, do three times. Hold the toe with left-hand fingers; using the right thumb, walk from the toe base until reaching the toe tip. Have to do three times on the five toes. For Neck reflex; Hold the big toe; using the right thumb, walk on the dorsal and lateral aspect. Walk medial to lateral in three rows; each row lower than the before until reaching the big toe base. For Spinal nerves; the spinal column is a protective sheath for the spinal nerves. The spinal nerves are beneath the spinal column; thus, reflex therapy for the spinal column can help spinal nerves.
- Eye problems – Sight is most valued than other senses. Hold right foot with the left-hand; place right thumb below the second toe base. Using the right thumb, walk on the area under the toes, from the second to the fifth toe. These reflexes cover the entire eye; reflexology therapy helps any problems of the eye.
- Heart problems – Hold left foot with the left hand; for heart reflexes, move right thumb straight below the fourth toe until before diaphragm line. Press & rotate this point. Next, place the right index finger on the dorsal (top) aspect corresponding to the thumb. Apply pressure with the index finger.
- Kidney problems – it is already done in endocrine glands – adrenal. Important jobs of the kidneys are to remove waste from the blood (urea, salt, and excess water). Using two thumbs together, pull apart with a gentle pressure to reach the kidney and adrenal reflexes. Do for 10 seconds.
If you have erectile dysfunction or other sexual problem, then stimulate the reproductive reflexes.
Massaging the reflex points of these organs can be helpful to avoid any complication due to a long-term of diabetes. Thus, Diabetes Reflexology Massage not only controlling the blood sugar level but also protects organs affected by a long-term of diabetes.