Treatment for a diabetic coma depends on the level of blood sugar, whether it is too high or low. If someone, whose glucose level is not low do not give them sugar.
Diabetes coma treatment
Diabetes coma treatment is always based on the diagnosis of the cause of diabetes coma, whether coma happens due to high or low blood-sugar level.
Diabetes coma management during High blood-sugar
If the blood-sugar level is too high, then need:
- Intravenous fluids to restore water (hydrate)
- Electrolytes such as Potassium, sodium or phosphate supplements to help the cells function correctly
- Insulin to help the tissues absorb glucose and bring back normal blood-glucose level
- Treatment for any underlying infections
Diabetes coma management during Low blood-sugar
If your blood-sugar level is too low, then need:
- Glucagon injection, which helps to raise the blood-sugar level quickly
Diabetic coma is relieved and the consciousness returns when blood sugar brought back to normal level.