Ivy’s gourd herb is useful in managing blood glucose level by nourishing pancreas, liver, kidney, heart, & eye.
What is Ivy gourd?
Ivy Gourd Plant: Ivy gourd (Coccinia Cordifolia) is a tropical vine ( a woody climbing plant that bears grapes like fruits), nativity extends from Africa to Asia. Green vegetable Ivy’s gourd can use for cooking as a vegetable, well-ripped fruits are sweet to eat and can be taken raw.
Ivy gourd other names: Coccinia Cordifolia is also called as baby watermelon, little gourd, Calabacita, Calabaza Hiedra, Coccinia grandis, Coccinia indica, Coccinia Índica, Kovai, Little Gourd, Tela Kucha, Tindola.
Ivy Gourd Nutritional Value: 100 grams of ivy gourd contain Protein 1.2 g, Total Fat (lipid) 0.1 g, Carbohydrate 3.1 g, Total dietary Fiber 1.6 g, Iron 1.4 mg, Calcium 40 mg, Potassium 30 mg, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.08 mg, Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) 0.07 mg, Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) 1.4 mg, and Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 0.07 mg.
Ivy gourd calories: 100 grams of ivy gourd can provide 18 Kcal or 75 kJ of energy.
Ivy Gourd Recipe for diabetes: Take 5 to 10 ivy gourd leaves wash it, add ¾ cup of water, blend well using a blender, filter the juice, add stevia to sweeten (optional), and drink the juice first time in the morning.
Ivy gourd lower blood-sugar level
Co-administration of conventional drug and herbal medicine may cause potential interactions that lead to adverse events. So get doctor’s consent before starting herbal treatment.
The mechanism of action of the herbal Ivy gourd has appeared to mimic insulin in diabetic patients. It acts like insulin by correcting the elevated enzymes Glucose -6-phosphatase and lactate dehydrogenase. Thus, it controls hyperglycemia in diabetes.
Ivy gourd’s scientific evidence
- The fasting and postprandial blood glucose levels of the experimental group at day 90 significantly decreased, by 16 and 18%, respectively as well as A1C. Effect of Supplementation of Coccinia cordifolia Extracts on Newly Detected Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Care 2008 Feb; 31(2): 216-220.
- Our findings indicated that raw Ken (Coccinia grandis) leaves lowered the postprandial blood sugar levels proving the herb improving the glucose tolerance. Blood Sugar Lowering Effect of Coccinia grandis (L.) J. Voigt: Path for a New Drug for Diabetes Mellitus. Experimental Diabetes Research Volume 2011, Article ID 978762.
- Treatment of diabetes mellitus with Coccinia indica. British Medical Journal 1980;280:1044.
- The extract of C. indica, act like insulin, and control of hyperglycemia in diabetes. Influence of Coccinia indica on certain enzymes in the glycolytic and lipolytic pathway in human diabetes. Indian J Med Sci. 1998 Apr;52(4):143-6.
- Patients showed marked improvement in their glucose tolerance. Coccinia indica in the treatment of patients with diabetes mellitus. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull. 1979 Dec;5(2):60-6.
Unlike conventional drugs, herbal medicines are complex mixtures of bioactive compounds. Season, growing condition, processing method can vary the constitutions of the bioactive compound.
15 Medicinal Uses of Ivy gourd
Ivy’s gourd has some important pharmacological activities. They are anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-mutagenic, and anti-diabetic. Also, it has anti-bacterial, anti-ulcer, hepato-protective, expectorant, and analgesics properties.
- Blood sugar - Ivy gourd decreases fasting and postprandial blood sugar by about 16 to 16 %, respectively. Additionally, it shows to lower HbA1C.
- Blood pressure - Many naturopaths suggest drinking ivy gourd juice is beneficial to high blood pressure and heart patients.
- Proper heart functioning - It is rich in potassium that helps heart functioning and prevents heart attack and ischemic heart.
- Protect the nervous system - It can protect the nervous system because it is rich in B vitamins essential for the brain and the nervous function. Thus, help in treating anxiety, epilepsy, and Alzheimer’s.
- Prevent Kidney Stones - Including it in your diet to considerably reduce the kidney stone risk.
- Strong bones - Its calcium content can strengthen the bones.
- Boost immune function - It boosts the immune function, the key to maintaining a healthy life.
- Improves digestive health - It improves digestive health becomes of its vitamin B complex and dietary fiber content. In Ayurveda used it for anorexia and coughing.
- Alleviated depression - It alleviates the mood and treat depression naturally.
- Eliminate allergy - It has anti-histamine property, useful as a topical treatment to cure skin irritations and allergies.
- Energetic - Ivy gourd consists of 1.4 mg of Iron, 17.50% of the daily recommended value. Iron deficiency causes fatigue. So, the Ivy gourd keeps you fit, healthy, and energetic.
- Treat Cataract - Traditionally, Ivy gourd can also in use for various conditions; stem juice as eye drops to treat cataract.
- Skin health - Leaves are useful for treating skin eruptions, gonorrhea, biliary disorders, anorexia, cough, and diabetic wounds.
- Protects Liver – it is useful for hepatic disorders.
- Ivy gourd is known for its antioxidant, anti-bacterial, and anti-triglyceride property.
Ivy gourd lower heart diseases & strokes risks
Blood vessel blockage develops due to inflammation and oxidation that leads to heart disease and stroke. The herbal Ivy gourd possesses anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant properties, which protects against plague formation and thus to some extent, prevent heart diseases and strokes.
Ivy gourd dosage
The appropriate daily dose depends on various factors such as your age, health, and other health conditions. Consult your alternative medicine practitioner or follow product labels before using it.
Ivy gourd availability
Ivy gourds are available as a fresh vegetable, fruit, and leaf; extract capsules, leaf powder tablet or capsules.
Ivy gourd Side Effects or Warnings
It appears to be safe for most of the people when taken by mouth for short and long terms. Pregnancy and breast-feeding women are advised to avoid their use.
Ivy gourd decrease blood sugar levels, so it can interact with diabetes medication and leads to hypoglycemia.
Thus, you need to monitor your blood sugar level closely to avoid hypoglycemia, also need to change your diabetes medication dose.