Low blood pressure can easily manage by hypotension lifestyle change. It is not normalized (raise to normal), then few individuals may need hypotension medication.
Low blood pressure in healthy individuals without any undesirable symptoms or organ damage needs no treatment. However, individuals whose blood pressure has a significant drop from their usual range should need evaluation even without symptoms.
The best treatment option for low blood pressure is solving the underlying cause, such as dehydration, heart failure, diabetes, or hypothyroidism. When hypotension is due to a medication side effect, then treatment is to change in dosage or stops it.
- Dehydration - Treatment for low blood pressure due to dehydration is with fluid and minerals (electrolytes) replacement. Fludrocortisone is also useful to raise blood pressure by reducing sodium excretion, increasing heart rate, and force.
- Anemia - Treatment for low blood pressure due to blood loss (anemia) is with intravenous blood transfusions or medication to increase hemoglobin. Continuous and severe bleeding needs immediate treatment. Erythropoietin is best for low blood pressure treatment if the cause is due to anemia.
- Postural hypotension - Increasing water & sodium salt intake and drinking caffeine beverages are helpful. Also, you can use compression stockings to press the leg veins, thus reducing blood pooling in the leg veins. In some patients with low blood pressure with undesirable symptoms needs medication. Pyridostigmine and Caffeine are the choices for orthostatic or postural hypotension.
- Weak Muscles - Muscle weakness disease (e.g., myasthenia gravis) can cause low blood pressure. Pyridostigmine is useful in improving muscle strength. Thus, it helps to relieve fatigue, the most common symptom of hypotension.
- Postprandial hypotension - refers to low blood pressure that occurs after meals. If you are taking diuretics medications, then it may be the reason behind postprandial hypotension cause. Stopping it might dramatically improve your blood pressure and its symptoms. Caffeine with meals may help constrict blood vessels, raise blood pressure, and reduce its symptoms.
- Nerve related low blood pressure - Midodrine works by stimulating nerve endings in blood vessels, causing the blood vessels to tighten. It is mainly for hypotensive individual’s caused by kidney dialysis and for children with an infection. It is also for treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome and hepatic- pulmonary syndrome.
- Septic shock is a severe condition that occurs when an overwhelming infection leads to life-threatening low blood pressure. It requires emergency treatment with intravenous fluids and antibiotics.
- Bradycardia – is a disorder of too slow heart rhythm may be due to a medication side effect. In such a case of low blood pressure, your doctor needs to reduce, change, or stop the medication that is the cause. Isoproterenol (relaxing blood vessels and heart pump blood more efficiently), Dopamine (Increases the pumping strength of the heart), and Atropine (counteracts peripheral dilatation).
- Tachycardia is a disorder of the heart rate (pulse) or heart rhythm, such as beating too fast. Treatment for atrial fibrillation with oral medications, electrical cardioversion, or pulmonary vein isolation (a catheterization procedure). Treatment for ventricular tachycardia is with drugs or an implantable defibrillator.
6 Hypotension Medicine
There are different types of medications for low blood pressure treatment based on their causes; they are:
- Fludrocortisone is for low blood pressure while standing up. This corticosteroid helps control the amount of sodium and fluids in the body. It is often considering as medication for low blood pressure due to dehydration. This drug boosts the blood volume, which helps raise blood pressure.
- Midodrine is often considering as a low blood pressure medicine. It is for people with chronic orthostatic hypotension. It works by restricting the ability of the blood vessels to expand, which raises blood pressure.
- Pyridostigmine is used to improve muscle strength in patients with a muscle disease (e.g., myasthenia gravis). It functions by preventing the breakdown of a natural substance (acetylcholine) in our body. Acetylcholine is necessary for healthy muscle function. Therefore, this drug helps to relieve your fatigue, the most common symptom of low blood pressure.
- Caffeine acts as a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant, and it temporarily stops drowsiness and restoring alertness. It also relaxes smooth muscle, stimulates the cardiac muscle, and useful in the treatment of some headaches (e.g., a migraine). Caffeine can cause a temporary short-term dramatic rise in your blood pressure.
- Erythropoietin is recommending for low blood pressure treatment if the cause of low BP is anemia. Erythropoietin is the best choice to increase RBC and thus raises blood pressure.
- NSAIDs - Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are used primarily to treat inflammation, mild to moderate pain, and fever. It is useful if one has inflammation along with low blood pressure.
If you are panic about medication’s side effects, alternatively you can try low blood-pressure natural treatments.