Are you newly diagnosed stage-2 HTN, what to do next? Be strong; you need lifestyle modification and medicinal treatment mostly drug combination.
What is stage-2 hypertension?
The second stage of hypertension is called stage 2 hypertension. Stage 2 hypertension is a moderately elevated systolic pressure ranging from 160 to 179 mm Hg and the diastolic pressure ranging from 100 to 109 mm Hg.
Stage 2 hypertension puts you at higher risk for life-threatening problems such as heart attack and stroke. This form of high blood pressure needs immediate medical treatment with monitoring blood pressure frequently to avoid complications.
Newly diagnosed with stage-2 hypertension! What to do next?
Once you came to know that you are having stage-2 hypertension, instead of becoming panic and make the condition worst try to manage it smartly to bring it to the target number, here are some tips.
- You should know; your BP has raised over 160/100 mmHg.
- You should know the significance of the BP reading and confirm the treatment.
- If you are a smoker, quit smoking to help treatment and avoid complications.
- Check your BP often until your BP reaches your target value after that once every three months.
- Start following hypertension therapeutic lifestyle modification to support hypertension medication treatment.
- You should immediately start hypertension medication treatment. Combination therapy is the best choice for stage-2 hypertension.
- Discuss with your doctor to choose a best first line combinational antihypertensive drugs.
- Based on doctor's assessment, know your target blood pressure and strive to achieve it.
Lifestyle modification for stage-2 hypertension
Once you have diagnosed as stage-2 hypertension, you need to follow lifestyle modifications. It helps your hypertension medication treatment to achieve your BP target. Additionally, it lowers your risk towards hypertension complications. Some of the effective lifestyle modifications reduce sodium intake, take healthy foods, regular exercise, limit alcohol consumption, maintain healthy body weight, maintain healthy waist size, stay away from tobacco, and manage your stress smartly. Visit hypertension lifestyle changes to learn how to lower your blood pressure.
Stage-2 hypertension medicinal treatment
The treatment for stage-2 hypertension is influenced by your BP number, associated health condition, and some risk factors.
- If you are at low risk along with stage-2 hypertension, it is enough to follow lifestyle modification and suitable combination medication therapy.
- If you have any target organ damage (e.g. left ventricular hypertrophy), follow lifestyle modification and choose your hypertension medication combination accordingly.
- If you have chronic kidney disease, require following lifestyle change as well as suitable combinational medication that helps both conditions.
- If you have diabetes, then you should consider both lifestyles and choose a combination of hypertension medication by enough emphasis on diabetes.
What is your target BP?
The target blood pressure numbers various based on your associated health conditions, they are:
- If you have hypertension – Target BP should be less than 140/90 mmHg.
- If you have hypertension & diabetes – Target BP should be less than 130/80 mmHg.
- If you have hypertension & chronic kidney disease – Target should be less than 140/90.
However, if possible then it is always better to manage your blood pressure around 110/70 mmHg without or with limited number or dosage of medication.
Effective hypertension medicinal combinations
Below are the five different hypertension drug combination effective for stage 2 hypertension:
- Beta-blockers + Diuretics – Beneficial to elderly and cost-effective; however, it may increase your risk of new onset diabetes.
- Beta-blockers + Calcium Channel Blockers – Relatively cheap and is suitable in concurrent with CHD.
- Calcium Channel Blockers + ACE inhibitors or Angiotensin II receptor – It is suitable in concurrent with high cholesterol and diabetes.
- ACE inhibitors + Diuretics – It is suitable in concurrent with heart failure, diabetes, and stroke.
- Angiotensin II receptor + Diuretics – It is suitable in concurrent with heart failure and diabetes.
Put your maximum efforts with a lifestyle change to reach your target BP. Once the BP is in control, most patients require life-long treatment.
Is it possible to cut-down hypertension medication? You can consider decreasing the dosage and some hypertension medication, once your blood pressure controlled effectively for at least one year. This step-down should be carried out in a willful, slow and systematic manner. It is more often successful in those who are making lifestyle modifications. You should schedule follow-up doctor's visits, because your blood pressure may usually rise again sometime after months or years after step-down, especially due to the absence of lifestyle changes.