If doctor doubt that one has RLS, he or she may prescribe certain medicines used for the treatment of Parkinson disease to relieve RLS symptoms. If the symptoms are relieving by this medication, then doctor may confirm RLS.
How do you treat RLS?
There is no cure for Restless legs syndrome (RLS). If the causes of RLS are due to any condition or medicine, then it may go away if this causing factor is relieved or stopped.
Goals of RLS treatment are to:
- Relieve from the symptoms
- Increase the quantity and quality of sleep
- Treat any underlying condition that causes or may worsen RLS
- Mild cases of RLS can be relieved by lifestyle changes and sometimes with medication. Severe cases of RLS can treat with daily medication.
Lifestyle guidelines or home remedies for RLS
Lifestyle guidelines can provide relief from the symptoms of mild cases of RLS.
- Alcohol and tobacco can induce RLS symptoms, avoiding these can limit or stop symptoms.
- Some medications can cause or worsen RLS symptoms, stopping or changing these medications can relieve symptoms.
- Following sleep hygiene (habits) can help fall asleep and stay asleep. Some of these good sleep habits (hygiene) includes:
- Keep the bedroom cool, quiet, comfortable, and dark enough.
- Remove sleep disturbing things, such as a TV, computer, or phone.
- Maintain a definite time for going to bed and wake up, this helps our internal clock (our body’s internal clock) to maintain require hormonal secretion and maintain a proper sleep cycle.
- Avoid a stay in bed awake to a long period during the night.
- Some breathing exercise and relaxation techniques may help to fall asleep easily.
- Regular, moderate physical activity helps to limit or stop these symptoms; it is often confirming by people with RLS.
Some other activities that relieve these symptoms are:
- Walking or stretching
- Hot or cold bathing
- Massaging or heat/ice packs on the affected limb
- Doing some mentally challenging tasks, such as cross word or chess.
- Select an aisle seat in movies or during travel can help to move around.