Shalabhasana is a Sanskrit word, Shalabh means Locust or grasshopper. It is also called as the Locust pose because the final pose resembles a Locust.
How to do Half Ardha-Shalabhasana (Half Locust Pose)? Step by Step procedure
- Lie down on your Stomach and rest both hands underneath the thighs. Palms and forehead touching the ground.
- Pull the abdominal muscles inward, contract the buttocks, and press your hips and pubis firmly into the floor.
- Breathe in and lift your right leg backward up without bending your knee.
- Rest your chin on the ground.
- Be in this position for about ten to twenty seconds.
- Exhale, bring down your leg to the initial position (rest on the floor).
- Repeat the above steps with left leg.
- It is one cycle, repeat these five to seven times.
How to do Shalabhasana (Full-Locust Pose)? Step by Step procedure
The full locust pose is the same as Half Locust Pose, except you should lift both the legs together instead of lifting one leg in Ardha Shalabhasana.
After completing five to seven cycles of this asana, you should take rest by putting the arms under the head like a pillow by turning the head to one side. Breathe normally and deeply in this resting position.
9 Medicinal Uses of Shalabhasana (Locust Pose)
This asana strengthens spine, improves posture, and stimulates Swadhisthana and Manipura chakras.
- Shalabhasana strengthens the muscles of spine, buttocks, and backs of arms and legs. It improves the flexibility of the lower back.
- It stretches the shoulders, neck, chest, belly, and thighs. It help improves posture.
- This pose relieves sciatica and back pain. It is the special Asana for the spine. This asana can cure cervical spondylitis and spinal cord ailments.
- It tones the nerves and muscles of the neck and shoulders.
- This asana massages your internal abdominal organs. It stimulates Swadhisthana chakra and solar plexus chakra. Thus, digestive-fire increases and improves digestion. It enhances liver functionality; it keeps cholesterol under control, relieves constipation, dyspepsia, and alleviates gastric ailments.
- This yoga help loses weight. It reduces excess fats around the hips, waist, thighs, and abdominal area, by burning and eliminating fat deposits.
- This pose massages the heart, activating adrenal and prostate glands.
- It improves blood circulation, broadening of the chest and expanding the lungs.
- This asana help relieve stress, calm your mind, and beneficial for depression.
Beginners should first practice Ardha Shalabhasana after you feel comfortable then you can practice Shalabhasana posture. Don’t do this asana in case if you have undergone surgery, specifically abdominal surgery.