Udgeeth pranayama (Chanting breathing) is chanting of Om mantra while breathing. It is an excellent breathing technic relieves tension, anger, and anxiety. It cures sleep problems and bad dreams.
Udgeeth pranayama (Chanting breathing)
Udgeeth Pranayama is a Sanskrit word; Udgeeth means chanting, and pranayama means breathing. In English, it means chanting breathing.
Udgeeth Pranayama involves fundamental sound of chanting of AUM (OM) while exhaling that lasts for about twenty seconds. This OM chanting resonates and awakens the mind to its inherent potential. Mind, woke up and work to its full potential. This Pranayama cures depression, insomnia, and concentration problem.
Scientist discovered earth is vibrating with a sound OM inaudible to human ears; however detected by seismometers. Furthermore, Sun also believed to sing the tune that resonates with earth’s tune.
Mark Morford noted earth’s vibration tune resonates with the divine sound of ‘AUM.' The chanting vibration of Udgeeth pranayama is OM that resonates with the universal (earth) vibration. Thus helps us (Microcosm) to coexist with the universe (Macrocosm).
For maximum health benefits practice Udgeeth pranayama first time in the morning for a minute. One repetition takes about 5 to 20 seconds, at least do 6 to 8 repetitions.
How to do Udgeeth pranayama?
- Sit in comfortable, preferably Padmasana, close your eyes & mouth, and spine should be straight.
- Prepare yourself, the inhalation and exhalation duration should be long.
- Take deep breathe using your nose until the diaphragm is full.
- Exhale by chanting OM; ensure you pronounce O sound longer with short M (OOOOOOm). It is known as Omkara Japa.
Omkara chanting is by sounding "O" three times more than "M." Chant Omkara as long as possible to your capacity.
It is one cycle, repeat at least for 6 to 8 times.
9 Benefits of Chanting Breathing
Provides freedom from all kinds of physical problems & diseases, connecting your consciousness with the universe. Help you recognize "supernatural power" in yourself.
- The mind is very quiet, clean, and a bad idea will shy away.
- Calms the mind; relieves tension, anger, guilt, and anxiety.
- Excellent breathing technique for meditation.
- Useful to control hypertension.
- Cures insomnia, bad dreams and nightmares thus have to sound peaceful sleep.
- Cure nervous system problems.
- Improves memory, concentration, self-confidence, positive thinking, etc.
- It relieves intestinal gas, acidity, and other stomach ailments.
- It improves efficient blood circulation to the entire body.
Bhramari pranayama and OM chanting are effective in improving pulmonary function in healthy individuals. [International Journal of Yoga. 2014 Jul-Dec; 7(2): 104–110.]