Uttanasana (Standing forward bend pose) increases your spine, hips, and backs of the legs flexibility. It calms your mind while stretching and rejuvenating your whole body.
Uttanasana – Standing Forward Bend
In Sanskrit, “ut” means intense, “tan” means to stretch or extend and “asana” means pose. In English, we call this pose as Standing Forward Bend.
In Uttanasana, your head is below your heart. It allows an unusual occasion for blood to rush to your head (rather than your feet), giving your cells a rejuvenating boost of oxygen.
Tips for Beginner's - Beginner can bend knees slightly as you fold over at the hips; very slowly, you can try and straighten your knees. Additionally, you can put a block under your footballs; it helps increase the stretch to your hamstrings. Suck in the stomach to reduce pressure on the back muscles; this help achieves the perfect pose.
How to do the Uttanasana?
- Rest your foot 1 feet apart and parallel to one another.
- Breathe in deeply.
- Slowly by exhaling bend forward and try until your head reaches the knees. Hold the leg in your arms.
- Stay in this posture, be relaxed and try enjoying the pose with gentle breathing. Stay until you feel comfortable, increase the time if comfortable.
- If you experience any strain, then bend your legs a little to reduce this strain.
- Come out of this posture, when you feel any discomfort.
- To come out of the posture, slowly bend your knees and sit with your buttocks on the heels.
12 Benefits of Standing Forward Bend Pose
- It strengthens your hips, hamstrings, calves, thighs and knees.
- Make your spine strong and flexible.
- Calms your mind; relieves stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Soothes your nerves, and removes fatigue.
- It relieves spine, neck, and back tension.
- It massages your abdominal, thus improves digestion by stimulating the kidney, liver, and spleen.
- Eases Menopause symptoms,
- Reduce asthma, headaches, and insomnia attacks.
- It improves your blood circulation.
- It lower high blood pressure.
- Help achieve perfect posture and alignment.
- Useful for asthma, infertility, osteoporosis, and sinusitis.