Viparita Karani (Legs-Up-The-Wall Pose) is an inverted yoga pose rejuvenates your entire body! It hides wrinkles (anti-aging) in addition to banishing old age and death.
6 Hypertension Yoga to Normalize Your Blood Pressure
Viparita Karani is a Sanskrit word, viparita means turned around, reversed, or inverted and karani means doing, making, or action. In English, it is Legs-Up-The-Wall Pose.
Viparita Karani "destroys" old age and death. It has anti-aging effects on your body.
Viparita Karani reduces wrinkles also keeps old age and death at bay. This asana is a restorative pose; promotes blood circulation to every body part and relieves just about any ailment.
How to do the Viparita Karani?
- Lie on one side (right or left as per convenience) with one hip over the blanket and the other hip facing the ceiling. Having the legs one over the other and is parallel to the walls, the upper parts of the body perpendicular to the wall, and the buttocks is in contact with the wall.
- Now, bend the knees and bring it close to the chest. Gently roll from the side (hip on the ground) to the back, keep the upper body supported with the elbows on the floor.
- Lowering the upper hip down towards the ground and extend the legs up to the wall.
- Stay here several minutes for your comfort.
- To come out of the pose, bring the knees close to the chest and roll to the sides (right or left as per convenience).
9 Benefits of Legs-Up-The-Wall Pose
Viparita Karani is useful for anxiety, arthritis, digestive problems, headache, high & low blood pressure, insomnia, migraine, mild depression, respiratory ailments, urinary disorders, varicose veins, menstrual cramps, premenstrual syndrome, and menopause.
- It relieves arthritis, headaches, high/low blood pressure, and insomnia.
- Eases premenstrual syndrome and menopause symptoms.
- Relieves tired, cramped feet and legs.
- Stretches the hamstrings, legs and lower back. It relieves lower back pain.
- Calms the mind; relieves anxiety and stress.
- Improves digestive system and relieves indigestion.
- Stimulate the thyroid gland.
- Boosts metabolism; help reduces body weight.
- Provide revitalizing energy and strengthen your nervous system.
Precautions and Contraindications
A mild inverted pose, therefore, avoids during menstruation, glaucoma, and serious back & neck problems (do under the yoga master’s guidance). If you experience tingling in your feet during asana practice, bend your knees and touch the soles, bringing your heels close to the pelvis.